Mixed bag at Manchester Airport as some complain about ‘disgraceful’ security queues – while others ‘sail through’

It’s been a mixed bag at Manchester today – with some people reporting ‘absolutely disgraceful’ security queues, and others ‘sailing through’. One woman said the queue she experienced at security was ‘genuinely ridiculous’.

Another person said children and babies were having to wait. Others took to social media to report that they ‘sailed through’ the earlier this morning. Today’s reports follow more issues earlier this week.

READ MORE: Cheap supermarket that rivals Aldi, ASDA, Tesco and Lidl is opening in the UK

Passengers voiced their frustrations on social media.

“Absolutely disgraceful that Manchester Airport still has not sorted out the massive delay going through security,” Waheed Saleem said.

Anna Marino added: “Seriously what is going on with your security, it’s genuinely ridiculous! This isn’t on!” Natalia Millan also had complaints.

She posted: “Ridiculous that you make people with babies and young children wait in the long security queue until closer to the security area. Babies don’t understand and have needs.”

Airport management are now advising people to turn up three hours before their flight to avoid ‘excess queues’.

But other passengers on social media reported they were able to get through the terminal without issue.

“Fair play Manchester airport T1. Sailed through bag drop and security this morning,” Steve Clough said. Lee Hammo added: “30 mins through security Manchester Airport T2 this morning at 4am. Nice work.”

Craig Chew-Molding was also full of praise, saying: “Navigating the perceived melee that is Manchester Airport (T1). Actually not too bad. Paying for Fastrack at Security was well worth it.”

Mr Chew-Molding did however add that security could be ‘improved’ with ‘tweaks’. He said: “The 45mins saved there we can now use to queue to get in a bar! The security situation could be improved with a couple of process tweaks and comms.”

Airport bosses have said that passengers should arrive three hours before their departure, to avoid long delays with ‘extra queues’. A statement said: “The airport is continuing to advise customers to arrive three hours before their flights, and to ensure they are up-to-speed with the latest rules about what can be carried in hand luggage. At the same time, the airport is also asking passengers not to arrive earlier than this because it can lead to extra queues, and check-in and security facilities may not be open. “

Hub bosses said last week they are now on the road to recovery ahead of the summer months, with more than 1,600 applicants having applied for jobs at the airport in April alone, with 550 recruits on the floor since January, and 500 new starters currently going through vetting and security training. A further 200 workers are expected to join the operation in May, enabling management to open more security lanes in peak periods, and ‘improve customer service’.

Ian Costigan, interim managing director of Manchester Airport, added: “We want to make sure that customers get away on their travels, so everyone at Manchester Airport is focused on bringing in the extra resources we need to continue operating our full flight schedule.

“It is encouraging to see new staff joining us as a result of our ongoing recruitment drive, and we have seen security waiting times reduce in recent weeks. The last few weeks have been challenging but the team on the ground has done a great job in getting passengers through security more quickly, and I would like to thank all colleagues for their hard work and dedication.

“As we continue to recover, we are reminding customers to arrive at the airport three hours before their flight and to ensure they are familiar with all security rules. While the majority of people will get through security in less than 30 minutes, customers need to allow time for check-in and the possibility that security queues may be longer at peak times. “

As of 10.20am, an Airport spokesperson told the Manchester Evening News that queues peaked at just over an hour during the morning rush, but had since been cut down to ‘under 15 minutes’ in all three terminals.

Sign up to the Mancunian Way newsletter to get an in depth look at the biggest stories from our region every weekday


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.